My Progress

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Alexandra's Birth Story

On the afternoon of Friday, February 10, 2012, I began to experience very regular, painless contractions well into the evening.  Over time, they became more painful, though nothing unbearable.  By 3 am, I could no longer sleep through them and I retired to the living room couch to wait it out and see if they worsened. By 7 am on Saturday, we decided to call the OB and get his opinion of if I should get to the hospital.  He told us to come down, so off we went, expecting that we would might meet our daughter later that day.  After 5 hours in the hospital, my contractions subsided and I was sent home.

The following day I experienced similar contractions, though nothing worse than before, and again they eventually peetered out.  Jacob decided to stay into Monday just in case I went into full-blown labor.  BUT of course I didn't and he had to return to WV for work Monday evening.

On Tuesday, Feb 14th, I was debating whether I should risk driving up to campus to take my comp exam which I had set up early so I could get it over with before Alexandra arrived.  I decided to risk it, in the end, and I am very glad I did.  I made it through the exam (and passed, thankfully) without much pain and was able to see some friends that evening while in Chapel Hill.  While at dinner, I remember remarking upon leaving the restaurant that it felt like my ass was sweating really badly, because my underwear was damp.  Though, thinking back, I wasn't overheated at all.  I didn't give it another thought until much later.  I enjoyed some red wine with my classmates and returned home at 10 pm (a very late night for me!!).  Eventually I drifted off to sleep.

I awoke at 2:30 am to use the loo, returned to bed, and as I rolled over to my side I felt a large POP!!! followed by a warm gush of fluid between my legs. There was NO DOUBT in my mind what was happening.  Imagine holding a water balloon and squeezing it until it exploded in your hands.  That's exactly what it felt like between my legs as my amniotic sac burst.  I JUMPED out of bed exclaiming, "Oh shit, Oh SHIT, OH SHIIIITTTT!!!" and sat onto the toilet not knowing exactly what to do next.  My pants were saturated.  I decided it was best to take them off and hold a towel between my thighs - but that was quickly saturated as well.  I could not believe the amount of fluid rushing out of me.  I called Jacob and told him what was happening, and he quickly got on the road to return to Sanford.  Then I called 911 and waited for the ambulance to transport me to the hospital.

Everyone at the hospital, including the EMTs, were exceptionally welcoming and calming.  I was the only woman in Labor & Delivery that night, so I was blessed with the undivided attention of the hospital staff.  By 7:30 am, 4 hours into labor, my contractions were coming close together and escalating to a level which began to take my breath away.  I have NEVER been so relieved to see a doctor before in my life as when the anesthesiologist walked into the room.  Minutes after the epidural was in place I began to feel warm and cozy from my waist to my toes.  And after that moment, I knew giving birth was going to be okay.

Jacob arrived around 8:30 am and was by my side throughout the whole experience.  He enjoyed talking to the nurses and gleaning all sorts of information about birthing babies while I phased in and out of sleep.  By 6 hours into labor, I was fully dilated, but the contractions began to space themselves further apart, so they gave me some Pitocin to move things along faster.  In the meantime, I was engulfed with the shakes, as if my whole body was submerged in ice water but I wasn't cold.  I could only get them under control if I closed my eyes and concentrated fully on relaxing.  I also began to feel nauseated and ended up vomiting several times before I had to start pushing.  Other than those two side effects, labor was a breeeeeeze (thank you, again, epidural).

When it was time to push, Jacob took one leg, a nurse (Paula) to the other, and the midwife, Cathy, was at the helm providing feedback and guidance for me.  It took a total of 3-4 contractions, and 9-10 pushes to bring Alexandra into the world.  Apparently, I am a good pusher. :)  Go me!

When she was out I could barely comprehend that this being just cruised through my hoo-hah.  Jacob kept wanting to take a picture of her as they cleaned her off on my stomach, but my face read "ew - gross" rather than the blissful, happy response that I imagine most first time mothers have.  I was much more blissful after they cleaned off the slimy white stuff and wrapped her in a blanket. Lol.  Jacob cut the cord and got a free stitching lesson as he watched the midwife sew up the superficial tears I received in the process.  Nothing like your husband seeing your vagina in its most torn-up state. Sexy.  Luckily that stuff doesn't phase him and will (hopefully) not haunt him later when it looks normal again.

At 4:14 pm of February 15, 2012 Alexandra Eden was born weighing 7 pounds 6 ounces, and was 20 inches long.  As babies go, she was a cutie.  She barely cried, which was eerie, since they always say newborns should cry. But she was very healthy and content from the very beginning.

Taking her home two days later was both nerve-wracking and exciting.  I did not sleep for those first couple nights because I was convinced that she would spontaneously stop breathing, suffocate herself, or choke on spit up.  Every noise brought my attention, as did the deadly silence as she slept comfortably in her bouncer beside our bed.  I'm much better about sleeping now - even able to ignore her dreaming noises, which she makes a LOT of.

 After a feeding.  How do you not just sit and stare?

 Birthday


 Me laboring - I think I was reaching for the puke bag.
 She's so wee. :)
 About 1 week old.
Leaving the hospital.


I've never thought of myself as a baby person.  I never thought I'd have kids.  I know it's going to be trying at times and exhausting and scary, but I am much more confident now that we did the right thing in starting a family and the rewards will far outweigh the bummers.  I feel very blessed to have Jacob with me to take this journey together, and that we have a beautiful little girl.  Now the true adventure begins.

1 comment:

  1. Love it!! Welcome baby Alexandra!! Thanks for sharing your labor and delivery story!!

    ReplyDelete